Monday, November 16, 2020

POST-BOOK: VERONICA MONTES

The Halo-Halo Review is pleased to interview authors in the aftermath of their recent books’ releases. This issue’s featured writers include Veronica Montes.

 


What is your most recent book? 

 

It's a chapbook: The Conquered Sits at the Bus Stop, Waiting.

 



When was it released? 

 

September 29, 2020 by Black Lawrence Press.

 

 

What has been the response/what has surprised you most about the response? 

 

This is going to sound ridiculous, but the thing that has surprised me the most is that there has been any response at all! Writing, for the most part, is a solitary journey; I've grown accustomed to just puttering along without much notice and with minimal expectations. I'm primed for rejection, basically! And so I was shocked when I won the Black River Chapbook Competition, and I am genuinely grateful and surprised by Instagram posts and tweets from friends and strangers alike, by the deep reading of book reviewers, by the kindness of the literary community.

 

 

Tell me something not obvious or known about the book. 

 

R. Zamora Linmark was my first reader! His support was the encouragement I needed to submit my ms. to the competition.

 

 

What are you working on right now?

 

I continue to write/publish flash fiction, focus on its craft, and explore its possibilities (novella in flash, anyone?!). And I'm beginning the process (though it's been quite start-and-stop so far) of pulling a collection together.

 

 

*****

 

Veronica Montes is the author of the chapbook The Conquered Sits at the Bus Stop, Waiting (Black Lawrence Press, 2020) and ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Benedicta Takes Wing and Other Stories (Philippine American Literary House, 2018). Her flash fiction has appeared or is forthcoming in WigleafSmokeLong QuarterlyCHEAP POPLost BalloonFlashBack Fiction, Mom Egg Review, and elsewhere.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment